- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup diced dulse
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the leek and garlic and sauté until the leek is softened.
- Add the broth, water, and dulse to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the dulse is tender.
- If using, stir in the heavy cream.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth, or carefully transfer it to a blender and blend until smooth (be sure to remove the center cap on the blender lid to allow steam to escape).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the soup hot, garnished with additional dulse if desired. This recipe serves 4-6 people, depending on how it is served.